Denon’s fifth-generation AV receiver AVR-X6400H, AVR-X4400H, AVR-X3400H, AVR-X2400H, and AVR-X1400H have received the attention of many audio-visual enthusiasts since its launch. Today we are going to introduce Denon’s fifth-generation main product: AVR-X3400H!
Why is AVR-X3400H the main product of Denon’s fifth generation? Because audiophiles who know audio-visual products know that in addition to Bluetooth and wireless multi-room audio, the most important thing is the power of the amplifier and the number of channels.
To experience the next-generation audio-visual experience brought by panoramic sound, a minimum 8-channel configuration (5.1.2) is required. The increase in the number of channels means that the power amplifier needs to output more power.
And low-end products because of insufficient power, it is challenging to push 7 channels (many subwoofers are active and do not require power amplifiers). While the power of the high-end product is sufficient, but the price is also prohibitive. The Denon AVR-X3400H receiver is a cost-effective product that meets the audio-visual requirements of most audio-visual enthusiasts but is also relatively affordable.
Denon AVR-X3400H double-layer packaging. Manuals, remote controls, Audyssey kits, etc. are all available. Besides, Denon also provides a simple paper tripod for the Audyssey calibration.
What is Audyssey
In 2002, the Audyssey laboratory was separated from the University of Southern California. Audyssey spent 6 years and invested 6 million US dollars in researching how to improve the sound effect and made a significant breakthrough in audio equalization technology. In 2004, his research results Audyssey MultEQ was first applied to the home theater Receiver (Denon’s flagship AVR-5805, which was priced at $6,000 at the time) negative impact of the indoor acoustic environment on sound reproduction.
Audyssey has developed a variety of audio calibration products to overcome the limitations of environmental acoustics on audio systems to match human hearing and perception better. They have been used in many consumer, professional, and car audio applications.
Design and Functions
The body of the AVR-X3400H is made of metal and has a good texture. The large, eye-catching display on the front panel can clearly display information such as volume, input format, and channels. At the bottom right, there are interfaces for testing Audyssey microphones, an HDMI port, and a USB port. It is very convenient to use temporary external devices.
AVR-X3400H adopts a 7.2 channel design with fully separated amplifier technology. This means that each of the seven channels of the AVR-X3400H can obtain a maximum power of 215W (test conditions: 6 Ω, 1 kHz, THD 0.7%, 2ch drive). Denon’s unique Auto Eco mode automatically adjusts the maximum available power according to the volume in real-time, reducing household energy consumption.
Besides, the built-in 7.2 channels fully meet the requirements of Dolby Atmos and DTS:X. Audyssey MultEQ XT32, setting and optimization are more precise. SubEQ HT is used to integrate multiple bass woofers, simplify the setup process, and obtain smoother and more complete bass. Audyssey LFC (low-frequency calibration) can be turned on to achieve powerful bass in the room while controlling bass leakage not to disturb neighbors.
Denon AVR-X3400H av receiver comes with 8 HDMI inputs, all supporting 4K/60 Hz full-rate, HDCP 2.2, HDR (high dynamic range), BT.2020, wide color gamut, etc. It can connect to all the latest devices, such as game consoles, Blu-ray players, or streaming set-top boxes. For enthusiasts who have a smart home at home, AVR-X3400H also has an RS-232 serial interface that can be easily connected with smart home products.
The AVR-X3400H has pre-upgraded Dolby Vision, HDR, HLG (via firmware update), and BT.2020, and is equipped with an advanced video processor to upscale existing low-resolution video to true 4K video. X3400H has the function of supporting analog to HDMI conversion and full rate 4K upscaling. Streaming functions such as AirPlay, Bluetooth, Internet radio, and network audio are easy for users to get started.
AVR-X3400H provides a large number of interface options, including infrared remote input/output connection, 12V trigger, 7.2 channel pre-output, and RS-232 connection port. Besides, AVR-X3400H also has a built-in HEOS function, which can wirelessly share network storage music and online services with all HEOS speakers and other HEOS-enabled devices. The free HEOS app allows users to conveniently control the audio system in any room at home.
What is HEOS
HEOS is a wireless multi-room audio system launched by Denon in 2014. After several years of development, the technology and products have matured. Supported equipment includes Denon, Marantz’s new generation network AV Receiver, HEOS AVR, HEOS speaker series, HEOS Link, and other peripheral products. Through the free iOS and Android mobile apps, you can control different devices to play different music. Supported sources include online streaming music platforms such as TIDAL and Spotify, NAS on the local network, music on mobile phones, etc., even Hi-Res music files are supported.
HEOS is a Multiroom network music streaming system. When the device is connected to the same network, you can easily control the music played by different devices.
For music lovers, AVR-X3400H can also play music with extremely high standards. The 32-bit/8-channel AK4458VN decoder can play not only traditional audio formats such as MP3 and WAV but also supports high-resolution audio files, including FLAC, AIFF, or DSD (even up to 5.6MHz).
AVR-X3400H also fully supports network audio. Ethernet interface and 2.4G/5G dual-band antenna support Apple AirPlay, streaming from NAS and Internet radio streaming services. X3400H built-in high-quality Bluetooth module, users can use mobile phones to push music to X3400H for high-quality playback.
Although there are so many functions, the AVR-X3400H is very simple to set up and use. Users can use Denon’s exclusive setup assistant to quickly and easily complete the entire setup process to obtain the best sound quality.
Quick Guide for the AVR-X3400H Installation
As Denon Receiver has an Audyssey function, the installation of AVR-X3400H is straightforward. Basically, you can set it to step by step according to the program steps. Here are the main points:
(1) After inserting the 3.5 audio plugs of the test microphone into the test SETUP mic port on the front panel, the Audyssey setting menu will appear on the screen. In the configuration menu, check the corresponding options according to the actual speaker layout.
(2) Complete the microphone test in 8 positions in strict accordance with the program requirements.
(3) After the test is over, the amplifier will ask whether to turn on EQ XT, Dynamic EQ, and VOLUME. The first two are recommended to be turned on.
(4) In the final configuration, manually adjust the speaker size attributes and set them to small. And hand over the bass below 110HZ to the subwoofer for processing. The cut-off frequency of the principal and middle speakers is 80Hz. The subwoofer is set to LFE mode, and the crossover point is 110Hz.
“Wonder Woman” is the latest Doby atmos Blu-ray movie. Many fighting scenes in the film have a perfect sense of envelopment. Except for the surrounding space before and after, the top surround gives a lot of upper sound effects. Driven by AVR-X3400H, the sound is extremely fast and transient, and the sound of different weapons can be truly restored. X3400H can accurately reflect the orientation of each weapon, and the explosion scene is compelling and shocking!
Although “Guardians of the Galaxy 2” is not the soundtrack of Atmos, there are many dialogues between different characters in the film. The AVR-X3400H’s voice is real, with clear, three-dimensional images, just like the characters in the movie are right in front of you. The drive of the subwoofer is very sufficient and full of flexibility.
The production cost of “The New Mummy” is not low. The Blu-ray movie version of this film is also produced by Atmos. Actually, it sounds like there are many large-scale scenes in the movie, which are very demanding challenges for power amplifiers and speakers. But the Denon AVR-X3400H still achieved a high level of performance. Each intense scene has an affluent amount of information, creating a dynamic 3D space and directly conveying the film’s tension and fear to the audience.
We especially chose the 2017 Vienna New Year Concert. The overall style and tone of this concert still maintain the tradition of German and Austrian classical concerts. The warm strings and bright brass music, driven by the AVR-X3400H, have distinct levels and maintain relatively good strength in the low and mid-range frequencies. The high frequency is rich in gloss. Classical music fans will be taken over by Denon’s style.
Denon AVR-X3400H Receiver has complete functions, strong compatibility, and reliable workmanship. It inherits the consistent style of Denon products. X3400H is equipped with Audyssey mature technology to optimize the practicality in various listening spaces. There are many highlights of various Hollywood Movies. The surround effect is outstanding, and the sound level is obvious. The steady driving force makes these speakers sound easy to play. The precise control makes the final playback neutral and accurate. The sound is transparent in the restoration of the concert. Denon AVR-X3400H is a home theater receiver worth having.
Denon AVR-X3400H Features & Highlights
- 7.2 channel AV Receiver with 105W per channel (8 ohms, 20 Hz – 20 kHz, 0.08% THD): Enough power to fill medium size rooms with unique Denon sound
- Built-in Wi-Fi with 2.4GHz/5GHz dual band support; built-in Bluetooth®: Improved network stability especially in Wi-Fi-crowded homes
- 4K/60 Hz pass-through, Dolby Vision compatible, HDR, HLG, eARC* and BT.2020: Latest HDMI standard for future-proof compatibility
- 8 HDMI inputs (incl. 1 front) with full HDCP 2.2 support; 3 HDMI outputs: Plenty of inputs for all sources; dual main zone + second zone HDMI
- Advanced Video Processing with full-rate 4K Scaling for all sources: Full HD and even Ultra HD video quality from existing video sources
- Dolby Atmos (up to 5.1.2) and DTS:X: Blockbusting 3D sound with effects from overhead
- Built-in HEOS Wireless Multi-Room Audio Technology: Enjoy your music in your whole house with more HEOS products
- AirPlay, Bluetooth, TuneIn Internet Radio, Pandora®, Spotify®, Amazon Prime Music,iHeartRadio, SiriusXM, Soundcloud®, Tidal, Napster or Deezer, Network Audio Streaming: Access to almost unlimited online music sources
- AKM 32-bit D/A converters; DSD (2.8/5.6MHz), FLAC, ALAC and WAV support: High-Resolution audio streaming for HiFi enthusiasts even in Gapless
- Audyssey MultEQ XT32, Dynamic Volume and Dynamic EQ, LFC, Sub EQ HT: Delivering the most advanced equalization for your individual room
- Colour-coded speaker terminals, Setup Assistant, Denon 2016 AVR Remote App: Hassle-free installation, setup and operation
Denon AVR-X3400H Specs
- Number of power amps: 7 (Front L/R, Center, Surround L/R, Surround Back L/R)
- Power output: 215 watts per channel(6 ohms, 1kHz, THD 10%, 1ch driven), 135 watts per channel (6 ohms, 1 kHz, THD 0.7%, 2ch driven),105 watts per channel (8 ohms,20 Hz – 20 kHz, THD 0.08%, 2ch driven)
- Speaker impedance: 4 – 16 ohms
- Input sensitivity/impedance: 200 mV / 47 k ohms
- Frequency response: 10 Hz – 100 kHz — +1, –3 dB (DIRECT mode)
- S/N Ratio: 100 dB
- FM section: Tuning frequency range 87.5 – 107.9 MHz
- AM section: Tuning frequency range 520 kHz – 1710 kHz
- Power supply: AC 120 V, 60 Hz
- Power consumption: 600 W(Standby 0.1 W, CEC standby 0.5 W)
- Power consumption No-Sound: 45 W (ECO on), 80 W (ECO oﬀ)
- Dimensions: (W x H x D) 17.1 x 6.6 x 15.3 inches
- Weight: 23.8 lbs